To coincide with the recent ‘World’s 50 Best Restaurant’ Awards held in Melbourne, Wine Australia invited many of the world’s best Sommeliers to Australia. At the conclusion of the awards program, Sommeliers flew to various Australian wine regions to discover more about artisanal and diverse fine Australian wines and the authentic craftsmanship of our winemakers. 13 Sommeliers visited Barossa on 8/9 April including:
- Mr Guillermo Cruz Alcubierre – Head Sommelier, Mugaritz Restaurant, Spain (W50B Restaurant)
- Ms Florence Diffey – Front of House, Builders Arms Hotel, Melbourne.
- Mr Cameron Douglas – Director, Sommelier Services Ltd, NZ
- Mr Donald Edwards – Wine Buyer – Temper UK
- Mr Michael Hanna – Fine Wine Consultant – Dhall and Nash
- Mr Yong Hee KIM – CEO/Sommelier – Les Clefs de Crystal, Korea.
- Ms Feifei Liu – Hotel Sommelier, The Temple House, China.
- Ms Larissa Muller – Restaurant Manager, Palate Restaurant, NZ.
- Ms Louise Naimo – Front of House, IDES, Melbourne.
- Mr Guy Palmer-Brown – Head Sommelier, The Clove Club, UK. (W50B Restaurant)
- Mr Edmundo (Santos Farrera) Farrera – Sommelier, Seafarers, NZ.
- Mr Wayne Shennen – Restaurant Manager – Ebisu Japanese Restaurant
- Mr Pathompong (Tui) Wangmanao – Sommelier, Nahm, Thailand (W50B Restaurant)
The Barossa Grape & Wine Association hosted the visit to Barossa and the Sommeliers were introduced to Barossa by enjoying sunset from Mengler Hill and a regional overview by BGWA CEO, James March. Our guests were treated to a glass of 1925 St Hugo Rare Aged Tawny by Chief Winemaker, Ben Bryant.
Dinner at FermentAsian followed with winemakers:
- Ben Chipman from Tomfoolery Wines
- Marco Cirillo from Cirillo Estate Wines;
- Abel Gibson from Ruggabellus;
- Fraser McKinley from Sami-Odi;
- Peter Schell from Spinifex;
- Dan Standish from Standish Wine Company.
On Sunday, the group visited Eden Valley and Henschke Cellars in the morning, and were hosted by Prue and Justine Henschke at both the Cellar Door and the Hill of Grace Vineyard.
Following this, the Sommeliers were introduced to the Barossa Grounds Project by BGWA Viticultural Development Officer, Nicki Robins and Yalumba Chief Winemaker Lousia Rose.
Wines tasted included:
- 2011 Pewsey Vale The Contours Riesling
- 2014 Yalumba ‘Hand Picked’ Eden Valley Shiraz Viognier
- 2015 Standish Wine Company ‘Lamella’ Eden Valley Shiraz
- 2014 Wolf Blass Estates of the Barossa ‘Lyndoch 5351’ Shiraz
- 2014 Dutschke Wines ‘St Jakobi’ Shiraz
- 2012 Yalumba ‘Steeple’ Vineyard Shiraz
- 2013 Willows ‘Bonesetter’ Shiraz
- 2014 Yalumba ‘Paradox’ Shiraz
- 2015 St Hallett ‘Scholz Estate’ Shiraz
Sunday Lunch was enjoyed at Fino where the group was hosted by winemakers:
- Reid Bosward from Kaesler
- Ben Bryant from St Hugo
- Dean Hewitson from Hewitson Wines
- Ian Hongell from Torbreck Vintners
- James Lindner from Langmeil Winery
- Ben Radford from Rockford
After lunch the Sommeliers were given the rare opportunity to try their own birth year vintage Tawny directly from the barrel on a Seppeltsfield ‘Taste Your Birth Year Tour’, as well as hearing the history of the Seppeltsfield Estate from host, Nigel Thiele.